Japan Airlines, Marubeni commence operations

The joint venture between Japan Airlines (JAL) and Marubeni, known as JAL Business Aviation (JALBA), commenced operations recently. JALBA is partnering with Jet Aviation, which is managing the flight charter, crew and aircraft maintenance. Meanwhile, JALBA is arranging ground handling services, operational support, and other related flight services.

JALBA is offering three types of charter flights: domestic within Japan, connection charter flights, and international charter flights. Connecting charters will be a mix of commercial flights by JAL and business charters at the destination.

As an example, the JALBA partners said a passenger on a commercial flight from Tokyo to London could be transferred to the JALBA business jet charter service to Bologna, Toulouse, and Paris before returning to Tokyo on a commercial flight.

The flag carrier announced the new start-up in January, with a paid-up capital of 150 million yen ($1.36 million). JAL owns 51 percent of the venture with Marubeni owning the remaining 49 percent.